In honor of Memorial Day and the unofficial start of the summer season, we asked KING employees to share their favorite Memorial Day recipes. Try them this weekend or all summer long. These make the perfect addition to any barbecue or camping trip!
Expand each box below for the full recipe and directions.Susi’s Fusili Primavera – “Perfect dish for a summer night!”
- 2 cups broccoli (1/2 inch)
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup asparagus spears, cut diagonally (1 inch)
- 1 cup green beans, cut diagonally (1/2 inch)
- ½ cup peas
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced (1/4 inch)
- 1 cup mayo
- ¼ cup milk (as needed)
- 3 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lbs. fusilli
- 1 cup small cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- Minced garlic (optional)
- Place broccoli, carrots, asparagus, green beans, peas, and zucchini (in that order) in a steaming basket over simmering water in a wide stance pan. Steam until tender (3-5 minutes).
- Whisk mayo, milk, vinegar, parmesan cheese (and garlic) in a large bowl.
- Cook pasta until al dente, then rinse with cold water.
- Add pasta and dressing in large bowl and mix. Add steamed veggies with tomatoes, scallions, parsley, and toasted pine nuts. And more milk if necessary.
- Serve chilled.
Stephanie’s Cucumber Dip – “My great aunt’s go-to recipe!”
- 1 small container of sour cream
- 2 blocks cream cheese
- 1 tsp. onion salt
- 1 large minced cucumber
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until creamy.
- Serve with potato chips, pita chips, or veggies.
Liz’s Bruschetta with Prosciutto and Goat Cheese – “My go-to appetizer for entertaining!”
- 3 sliced Roma tomatoes
- 6 oz. sliced prosciutto
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced in quarters
- 3 oz. goat cheese
- Minced garlic (to taste)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Ciabatta bread
- Sautee minced garlic in olive oil to soften garlic. Add sliced onion and prosciutto.
- Sautee until onions are tender and prosciutto is slightly crisp.
- Brush ciabatta with garlic and olive oil, then grill or broil until golden and crisp.
- Slice ciabatta and assemble with goat cheese and tomatoes, with prosciutto and onion on top. Add salt and cracked pepper to taste.
Grilled Fruit Kabobs – “Delicious for dessert, snack, to toss in with a salad or over ice cream. Add chili flakes for a surprising kick”
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup agave or honey
- 3 peaches, pitted and quartered
- 1 papaya, pitted and sliced
- 3 mangos, diced
- 1 large pineapple, diced
- 1 lb. strawberries, halved
- 3 bananas, sliced
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Build kabobs on skewers. Preheat grill to low/medium heat and place large sheet of foil onto grate.
- Melt butter and agave or honey over low heat in a sauce pan. Stir frequently over low heat until thickened. Do not burn. Drizzle over fruit kabobs. Set some sauce aside for glazing kabobs.
- Grill kabobs until fruit has softened and sauce has thickened on fruit. Glaze with remaining sauce.
Grandma's Beer Brats – “Every barbecue should have these!”
- 12 bratwurst
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cans of beer
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Red pepper flake (to taste)
- Preheat grill for medium high heat.
- Combine beer and onion in a large pot and bring to boil. Submerge bratwurst in beer, then add seasoning. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove bratwurst and continue to cook onions until soft and translucent.
- Grill bratwurst, turning once, for 5-10 minutes. Serve with beer onions.
Grilled Veggies with Garlic Aioli – “The best veggies are grilled veggies!”
- Yellow squash
- Red onion
- Sweet bell peppers
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- ½ cup mayo
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- To make the garlic aioli: Mash garlic and ¼ tsp of salt in a small bowl until paste forms. Whisk mayo, olive oil, and lemon juice, then season. Cover and chill. (This can be made in advance.)
- Slice vegetables and coat in olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Grill on medium high heat until tender and charred.
- Serve with lemon and garlic aioli.
Pineapple Salsa – “Top grilled salmon, chicken, or seafood tacos with a sweet kick.”
- ¼ pineapple, cored and diced
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. honey or agave
- Olive oil
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
- 4 limes, juiced
- Mix pineapple, avocado, onion, and jalapeño, in a bowl. Toss with olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, and honey. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Kiwi Lemonade – “Nothing is more refreshing on a hot day.”
- 8 medium kiwi fruit, peeled and divided
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- Water, still or carbonated
- Mash kiwi until smooth, strain, and discard pulp.
- In a 2-quart pitcher, stir sugar and lemon juice until sugar is dissolved. Stir in kiwi puree. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Add water and enjoy over ice.
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend!